Fundamentals of 1031 Exchanges Webcast | 4201492D STARTS AT 6:30 AM PDT
Date: September 30, 2020
Event Start time: 6:30 AM End time: 2:00 PM
Facility: Webcast Rebroadcast
8.00 CPE: Continuing Professional Education Technical
8.00 CTEC-TX: CTEC - Federal Tax Law Hours Technical
8.00 IRS-TX: IRS Federal Tax Update Technical
6.50 MCLE LS-TX: Legal Specialization-Taxation Law Technical
6.50 MCLE: MCLE Technical
2.00 ET: Ethics
Field of Interest:
Cover critical aspects, common problem areas and strategies for successful 1031 exchanges. Examine Form 8824 preparation, replacement property adjusted basis computations, advanced 1031 strategies and more. Study advanced 1031 exchange strategies such as reverse exchange, partners/TIC structures, and improvement exchanges (including "Bartell" parking arrangements). Bring questions and increase your expertise. Updated in 2018 for effects of 2017 tax reform act.
- Recognize how to prepare IRS Form 8824.
- Determine 1031 exchange mathematics, including napkin test, boot and adjusted basis.
- Identify conceptual issues in 1031 exchanges.
- Discover advanced concepts, such as improvement exchanges, reverse exchanges, non-safe harbor exchanges and drop-and-swap.
- Determine ethics and client counseling issues.
- Identify how to evaluate and counsel clients about risk.
Level of Difficulty:
- Statutory framework for 1031 exchanges
- Business and investment property characterization
- Deferred exchange rules and techniques
- Exchange mathematics: boot, gain and basis
- Reporting for failed exchanges (over two tax periods)
- Improvement, reverse and non-safe harbor exchanges
- Partnership and TIC issues: IRC Sec. 761
Basic knowledge of tax return preparation or familiarity with investment real estate planning, brokerage or operations.
Advanced Prep: Event Notes:
CPAs, attorneys, CFPs, enrolled agents, real estate and tax professionals.