Strategies to prepare an estate tax return and achieve successful audit results, including compliance and planning opportunities with the portability election; delivered by a nationally-respected expert on federal estate tax returns with greater than 45 years' experience.
Uncover weaknesses in IRS arguments, how to secure the best appraisal results and effectively make portability elections. Explore counter arguments for IRS challenges to FLPs, formula clauses, promissory note valuation and allowable deductions. Avoiding traps in both planning and preparing Form 706. Best use of administrative expense deductions. Staying on top of refund claims. Additional subjects as needed by attendees.
Course materials include the instructor's award-winning book and latest supplement, "Estate Planning At The Movies®—The Art of the Estate Tax Return," available at a specially discounted price. Bring your computer or other screen-visual devices to access course materials.
Note: Webcast participants will receive course materials in e-book format.
- Determine how to slash estate tax liability.
- Identify topics to make your estate tax return practice more effective.
- Protect valuable estate tax return elections for your clients.
- Learn practice tips to avoid claims and best practices to protect your livelihood when preparing estate tax returns.
- Determine how to best integrate estate tax return preparation into your more effective accounting or law practice.
- Stay current with recent estate tax related developments, including opportunities and planning under the 2017 Tax Act.
- Identify how to avoid audits and gain insight to the selection of estate tax returns for examination.
- Determine the hottest issues and challenges with estate tax audits.
Level of Difficulty:
- Deceased spousal unused exclusion amount (DSUEA).
- Maximizing fractional interest discounts.
- Strategic choices with estate tax versus income tax planning when preparing Form 706 including changes under the 2017 Tax Act.
- Working with and selecting appraisers.
- Reducing discounts on the death of the first spouse.
- Effective planning and return preparation with FLPs and family LLCs.
- Honing marital deduction reporting.
- Reporting reverse QTIP elections and GST exemption allocations on Form 706.
- Protective and perfected refund claims.
- Requirements with Form 8971 for basis reporting consistency.
Familiarity with estate tax return preparation and estate planning.
Attorneys, CPAs and tax practitioners.
Laptop and course materials must be brought to class.
Wireless Internet access, lunch and discounted parking will be provided for this event and are included in your registration fee.